Who doesn’t remember last July? The weather was great, the sun was shining…And Facebook disabled the option to edit link previews. Everyone was pretty keen on this feature and tried to work around it. However, Facebook also prevented those ‘workarounds’ and luckily added a feature of their own, on how to do it.
It’s through ‘Domain verification’ and it enables changing the headline, the subheadline and the picture of a post directly on Facebook page or via API – so through Kontentino as well. All you have to do is to verify a domain through Business manager.
The set up may be a bit more complicated than you are used to and you can ask your tech guy for help, but we’re pretty confident anyone can do it. Also, you need to have admin access to the domain/ftp of the website you wish to verify.
There are three steps to the process and after you finish them, you can edit away in Kontentino.
1. Setup in your Business Manager:
- At first, go to the settings in your Business Manager
2. In the ‘People and Assets’ tab, go to ‘Domains’. If your screen is different and you are now quite sure what we are talking about, you should see ‘Brand Safety’, ‘Domains’ and ‘Add’, so click on those.
3. Click on ‘Add domain’ and enter your domain
2. Confirm ownership of the website. You can do so in two ways:
- Via DNS Verification. You may have to ask your tech guy for help with this one 🙂
- Go to the ‘DNS verification’ tab in your Business Manager
2. Visit your domain’s registrator website (godaddy.com, name.com, websupport.sk…) – you’re going to update DNS records of the domain
3. Set the TXT record of the DNS settings to the value Facebook gave you. You may want to call your tech guy to help you. It may look something like this:
If you need a more specific how-to, click here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+add+txt+record+to+your+domain
4. Once you made these DNS changes, go back to the Business Manager and click the Verify button at the bottom of the page (be aware that the verification may take up to 72 hours)
- By uploading a HTML file into your web directory
- Go to the HTML file upload tab in your Business Manager
2. Download the HTML verification file.
3. Upload it to the root directory of your site (if your website is www.johnstevegrocery.com for example, upload your file so as you can access it at www.johnstevegrocery.com/facebookhtmlfile.html). You can check the provided link to see if it was uploaded correctly.
4. Once it is done, click the Verify button at the bottom of the page.
3. “Apply” verification on your Facebook page
There’s one more step you need to do – and that is associating your Facebook Page with the verified domain. It’s pretty easy:
- Under the Domains tab, go to Assign pages
2. There’s a list of all the pages you added to your Business Manager. Just select the pages you want to add to the verified domain and click ‘Save changes’
3. The pages are now under ‘Assigned assets’
I have verified my website, can I edit link previews from Kontentino?
Of course! Just look for a message saying, that your link is verified and start editing the picture, the headline or the subheadline.
If you want to try it out you haven’t signed up yet, you can do so here.
There’s one alternative way to edit the link preview – implementing open graph meta tags on your website (your blog still doesn’t have them? blame your tech guys! 😀 ).
Which means – if you have a WordPress blog/website for example, you can edit the headline, description, and picture of your articles directly in the WordPress administration, you don’t even need any verification.
There are many WordPress plugins, we recommend this one:
Even though Facebook made us a little bit sad by disabling link preview edits, we should maybe be thankful. We also probably wouldn’t be happy, if somebody was to share our article with a headline or a picture we were not happy with, would we? 🙂
Kontentino is a powerful tool with which you can easily plan and approve your social media posts.
Start now and get one month for free!